Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Polaroid emulsion lifts

Ok...so my camera is broken and I am very upset that I had to send it off to Illinois today to (hopefully) get it repaired. This might be bad for the old blog. I am gonna try to keep this updated even if I have to use the (dreaded) camera phone. In the meantime, I thought I would share my favorite photographic technique with you. These little pieces of art are achieved by taking a Polaroid photo (has to be the 669 film pack) and dropping it into boiling water until the top emulsion layer floats off the backing. Once the top layer is loose, it can be transferred and manipulated to a new surface like watercolor paper! Looks and feels kind of like a jellyfish at this stage. The first one of Dusty is actually 2 different photos placed side by side. The angel was a statue in a neighbor's yard. I love the look of these and how hands-on the process is...such a nice change from Photoshop. The Auburn Art Association actually bought one of these (a hibiscus flower) from me for their permanent works on paper collection! Pin It

No comments: