Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wild Blackberry Pie

After Joel figured out that wild blackberry bushes were EVERYWHERE in our newly discovered playground between my neighborhood and Moss Rock Preserve, I decided I should make something with them. I have never baked a pie before but thought it sounded like a good idea. I picked 2 1/2 cups of ripe blackberries (which took a while because most aren't ripened yet) and then went to work last night. It actually turned out decent and I got to use the mint I have been growing on my windowsill to garnish it. Despite all the scratches, I think the best part is just being outside searching for the juiciest berries. Here is the recipe I used: _____________________________________________________________ Add 2 1/2 cups of fresh blackberries to 1 1/2 cups of sugar in large skillet and warm. Add juice from one small lemon and slowly bring mixture to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of water to 2 tablespoons cornstarch and mix thoroughly, then add to pan. Allow mixture to thicken over low heat. Take a prepared pie crust and mold it to a 9 inch pie pan. Don't forget to grease pan! Bake just the bottom crust for 10 minutes at 325 degrees and then remove from oven and add mixture. Top with the second crust and crimp edges to form seal. Bake for 30 minutes at 325. Pin It

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm extremely impressed my little betty homemaker!!!